Seguine and Baker approached big band like a live oil painting. Colors were arranged by vibrancy and emotional content, not necessarily by section (high instruments with other high instruments, for example). The co-leaders took a controlled but liberalized approach to big band, where Bach, Dave Holland and the poetry of Rainier Marie Rilke are all fair game. (Dan Lehner, All About Jazz)
The 18-musician Erica Seguine & Shannon Baker Jazz Orchestra seeks to immerse you into a deep sensory experience, creating large, original musical landscapes influenced by various facets of life. Much of Seguine’s music tends to explore the sensory realm by painting pictures of nature, inner states, and reinventing traditional styles through sound, while Baker’s music leans more towards direct emotional intensity, interspersed with messages of light. Both composers, however, convey their message through mixing instrumental colors, textures, harmonies, and styles, while delivering a personal story to the listener.
The Orchestra is based in NYC and has performed in venues such as: ShapeShifter Lab (Brooklyn), Tea Lounge (Brooklyn), Somethin’ Jazz Club (New York), Trumpets Jazz Club (Montclair, NJ), and the Capital Repertory Theatre in Albany, NY. The Jazz Orchestra also held a monthly residency for a year at InsaniTea in Montclair, NJ, and has performed at various festivals in the New York City area as well.
- The Ravine - Seguine Erica Seguine & Shannon Baker Orchestra 9:20
- States - Baker Erica Seguine & Shannon Baker Orchestra 12:46
- Bach Adagio a la Tango - Seguine Erica Seguine & Shannon Baker Orchestra 10:07
- The New Day Bends Light - Baker Erica Seguine & Shannon Baker Orchestra 10:40
- Dawn's Rise - Seguine Erica Seguine & Shannon Baker Orchestra 9:36
- Lullaby I. Rest, Be Still - Baker Erica Seguine & Shannon Baker Orchestra 11:02
- Lullaby III. In Dreams (meetings that could never occur)- Baker Erica Seguine & Shannon Baker Orchestra 11:00
- Leaves Swirling Through the Dusk Sky 13:42